What does a 125g of blueberry look like?
What other imported fruits/veggies/nuts can we get from Themarketfoodshop?
- almond nuts
Do you deliver fresh berries outside Lagos
No , we are only able to deliver within Lagos at the moment.
On what days of the week are blueberries available
At Themarketfoodshop, we usually have blueberries on Mondays, thursdays and fridays. Be assured that blueberries delivered will be in very good condition.
Are the blueberries sold by Themarketfoodshop fresh , frozen or dry?
They are fresh
How can you properly store blueberries at home
The first thing to look out for when you buy a pack of blueberries is mold. Look through the berries (especially round the stem area ) for mold. Once you are sure it does not contain any mold, you can go on to storing it.
- In the fridge – You can store them in the fridge or freezer, depending on how long you want them to keep for. When storing in the fridge, it is important to make sure they are dry. It is advised you wash them just when you are ready to consume them but in a case where you decide to wash before storing, make sure you dry them by placing them on a flat surface (like a tray or plate) on top of a kitchen towel; you can put the flat surface under the fan to make sure it dries well. You can them put them in a well ventilated container – like the container the container it came in. simply line the inside of the pack with a kitchen towel and put in the fridge. Do not put the container in the coldest part of the fridge or in the closed compartment (the crisper drawer), the middle section of the fridge is just fine . The blueberries should be able to keep in the fridge for up to 5- 10 days except the blueberries are over ripe or the electricity supply is not constant.
- In the freezer – Storing blueberries in the freezer will change the texture of the fruit but not the taste or flavor (except it is kept in there for way too long). The best way to store them in the freezer is to first wash the fruits then freeze the fruits individually on a tray for about 2-3 hours then transfer them in freezer bags before finally keeping in the freezer. Blueberries can keep in the freezer for up to 6 months so long as there is constant power supply. If stored in the freezer for too long it might lose taste and flavor.
Best way to freeze blueberries
When you want to store blueberries in the freezer, it is best to wash them first , then freeze the fruits individually on a tray for about 2-3 hours before transferring them into a freezer bag and putting them back in the freezer to keep for much longer.
do blueberries have seeds
Yes , blueberries have very tiny seeds inside them.
do blueberries have fiber
Yes they do.
148grams of raw blue berries contain about 3.6 grams of dietary fibre. It makes up a portion of the carbs contained in blueberries.
Do blueberries cause gas
Except for cases of allergy, blueberry is not associated with flatulence.
Do blueberries need to be refrigerated
Yes, blueberries are highly perishable, to preserve them, you need to store in either a fridge and freezer.
Glycemic index blueberries
The glycemic index (GI) for blueberries fall between 40-53. The GI for this fruit is low which means it has a decreased risk of raising blood sugar.
How many calories in blueberries
148 grams of blueberries contain 84 calories.
How to store blueberries
Blueberries are highly perishable and so should be stored in a fridge or freezer depending on how long you intend to store it for.
Are blueberries high in sugar
100 grams of blueberries contain about 10 grams of sugar which is a moderate amount of sugar that has been researched as not being able to cause any adverse effects on the body’s blood sugar.
Are blueberries acidic?
Yes , they are . They have a pH in the range of 3.12 – 3.33
Are blueberries fattening?
Blueberries contain very low quantity of fat. 100 grams of blueberries contain about 0.3 grams of fat
Can bluberries grow in Nigeria?
No , they do not.
The Blueberries sold in Nigeria are imported.
Where to buy blueberries in Lagos?
Blueberries are very fragile fruits so they are not commonly found in Lagos. You can get fresh blueberries instore themarketfoodshop website.
The benefits of blueberrries on the skin
- They reduce premature aging
- They improve skin quality by promoting the healing ability of the skin, causing the skin to rejuvenate.
- It contains Vitamin C which plays a vital role in collagen production, it also protects the skin collagen from getting damaged; collagen is a protein responsible for the healthy appearance of the skin.
The health benefit of blueberries
Blueberries contain a very good amount of essential nutrients like Vitamin C, Vitamin K, antioxidants, Calcium, Phosporous, Zinc, Iron, Manganese required to keep the body in great shape. Here is a couple of ways they can be beneficial to the health..
- Because it contains a rich amount of antioxidants, blueberries are able to reduce oxidative stress and damage that result from day to day activities especially as you grow older. These antioxidants help the body fight diseases and infections.
- Components of the bone like Calcium, Iron, Zinc, Vitamin and other nutrients are contained in adequate amounts in blueberries so a regular intake should definitely improve bone health.
- They contain antioxidants that can help the skin rejuvenate, reduce premature aging, naturally boost collagen production among others.
- They are low in calories, high in fibre and rich in the right amounts of nutrients ; these properties help regulate the body blood sugar.
Is blueberries good for keto diet?
Yes it is.
It is low in carbs, high in fibre with a moderate amount of sugar.
Recipe: blueberry yogurt smoothie
- Blueberries (fresh / frozen)
- Natural sweetener ( dates /honey) optional
- Freeze the berries and the yogurt
- Put all the ingredients in proportionate quantities in a smoothie maker and blend together, if you are using dates as a sweetener, you can peel and add them in before blending but if you are using date syrup /powder or honey as a sweetener, you can add after blending
- Smoothie is ready to be enjoyed.
Where can i buy blueberries in Nigeria?
Because they are delicate fruits , they aren’t just sold anywhere. Get various types of berries instore Themarketfoodshop .
Nutrients in blueberries
Here’s the nutritional profile for 100grams of blueberries
- Calories – 57
- Water -84%
- Protein – 0.7 grams
- Carbs – 14.5 grams
- Sugar – 10 grams
- Fiber – 2.4 grams
- Fat – 0.3 grams
Ways you can enjoy blueberries
- As a snack, you can simply snack on it as you go along your day.
- With yogurt, almond nuts, granola , coconut flakes and any other fresh berries of your choice ( you can mix and match ingredients as you like)
- In a smoothie -with ingredients like pineapple,apples, oranges, kale, cucumber, lemon
- in a yogurt smoothie , with other berries.
Can blueberries be taken with oatmeal?
What is the price of blueberries?
125grams of fresh blueberries cost N2500
Side effects of blueberries
- Because of the high pigmentation in blueberries, it can sometimes stain the teeth when taken, one thing you can do to avoid that is drink water just after taking them.
- They can interfere with certain medications ; make sure you check with your doctor before eating them if you are on medications.
- If you are in anyway allergic to berries, you should take precaution while trying them out.
Bilberries versus blueberries
- Bilberries are referred to as ” European blueberries”, because they grow in certain parts of Europe, while the blueberries are cultivated in parts of Northern America and Asia.
- They contain similar nutrients but in varied quantities and they taste different – Bilberries have an acidic tangy taste and are smaller and rounder in size than blueberries,
- They look similar but there are slight differences in their appearance, check the picture below