Where to buy smoked dried catfish
Benefits of eating smoked catfish
- The taste, flavor and nutritive value of fish is enhanced by smoking .
How long does smoked catfish last
Depending on how dry the fish is and how it is stored, it can be stored for up to 6 months. Dried Fish absorbs moisture during storage and this can lead quick spoilage or the need to re dry again so for prolonged storage, it is best to wrap up dried fish in layers of paper, transfer into a nylon or freezer bag that’s tightly sealed then store in a refrigerator.
Health benefits of smoked catfish
Hygienically processed smoked catfish contain essential vitamins and minerals in quantities that can help the body with functions like the production of red blood cells, skin health, strengthened immune systems among others.
How long to cook smoked catfish
The first step when cooking smoked catfish is washing the fish, depending on the quantity of the fish, this should take between 5-10 minutes.
Once the fish is washed, it softens a bit so the total cooking time depends on what type of soup or sauce you decide to make with it.
Nutritional value of smoked catfish
Smoked catfish contains the following nutrients
- Saturated fat
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin A
Ways you can store and use smoked catfish head in Nigerian meals.
Some have a way of cleaning and including smoked catfish head when cooking, however , for some its just too much work so they simply detach the head and throw it out. Heres how you can convert your smoked catfish head into dry fish powder. Dry fish powder is great seasoning that can be used to improve the taste of Nigerian meals naturally .
- Remove fish head and set aside; if its not yet dry enough, you can sun dry or oven dry it till its really dry.
- you can do the setting aside over a period of time so you can have a good number of the smoked fish heads.
- Make sure they are all very dry then blend into powder, sieve out any bony particles left after blending.
- Store in an airtight container ; this fish (head) powder can be used to season Nigerian meals naturally reducing the need for too much salt and seasoning cubes.